Just some general information, I'm not very computer savy so I'm afraid the information I can provide is a little vague. I just need a computer that will run the Pro Tools Recording software, and the best price I can get for it.
1) What is your budget?
2) What size desktop would you prefer?
Doesn't matter, will be stationary for the majority of time.
3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I've heard with Pro Tools it's better to look into a MAC, as PC's have a hard time running the program and crash frequently (have a friend whos experienced this)
5) What tasks will you be performing with the desktop?
Recording, light internet browsing, possibly video editing
6) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
7) Do you mind buying online without seeing the desktop in person?
8) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Once again, I've heard Macs have a better time with Pro Tools. Otherwise I am indifferent.
Additional: If the seller is reliable, I have no problem buying refurbished
i read a review the other day that for basic stuff that doesn't use GPU the new IB cpus are best without an actualy GPU. So using the HD4000 for browsing and word and regular programs that don't need a dedicated GPU will run fastest that way due to the quickpath link or whatever
get a i7 IB and you'll be golden on that end with a good SSD for everything and you will be set