SSD Drives - Worth the Cost ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SSD Drives - Worth the Cost ?

Are SSD Drives worth there cost. At $300 for me I can only get a 64 GiG SSD Drive. I've read that they can have problems at times so this makes me very cautious if there even worth it especially at there cost.

Woof

What do you need it for? If you just do basic computing tasks, no, they aren't worth it.

I just installed a good 60GB for $150. My load times are great on everything, and I love the performance. That said, I also have a RAID 0 array, so you can probably tell I want things to be fast.

What do you want from an SSD, and what hard drive arrangement do you have now?

My current HDD arrangement is just two drives, one of them external. No Raid setup or anything, I asked this question thinking if there worth to install an OS on primarily and only for a OS.

How much is a faster OS load time worth to you?

It certainly isn't worth $150 to me, my PC stays on 24/7 folding proteins, and boot time is already in the 25 second range.
    E5200@3.7(337x11)@1.34vcore on Xig. HDT-S1283.
    Asus P5Q Pro w/ketmod bios.
    2x2gb OCZ LV ddr2-1110@1124 5-5-5-15(1.8v).
    320gb WD hdd.
    Corsair 400CX PSU.
    Sapphire 4830@724/1200 w/accelero S1 V2.
    Old ATX case from when Tool Free was new and exciting.
    XP32-pro and Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64.

14104 3dmark06!

Woof

Quote Originally Posted by Bobnova View Post
    How much is a faster OS load time worth to you?

It certainly isn't worth $150 to me, my PC stays on 24/7 folding proteins, and boot time is already in the 25 second range.
    I play some games and enjoy the near instantaneous load times I get for my programs, but I would not have bought just for the startup time because I just use Standby when not using my computer.

Super Moderator

If your folding proteins 24/7 I wouldnt recommend a SSD to be used for that at least as it will clog the drives up as time goes. (Not sure how well these cleanup programs help resisting that)

Hard to say, but something like that doesn't need an ssd anyway, even if i got one it'd be mounted at / with /home located on a standard HDD. No need to constantly be writing to the ssd, whatever it's lifetime might be it'll be shortened by that.
    E5200@3.7(337x11)@1.34vcore on Xig. HDT-S1283.
    Asus P5Q Pro w/ketmod bios.
    2x2gb OCZ LV ddr2-1110@1124 5-5-5-15(1.8v).
    320gb WD hdd.
    Corsair 400CX PSU.
    Sapphire 4830@724/1200 w/accelero S1 V2.
    Old ATX case from when Tool Free was new and exciting.
    XP32-pro and Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64.

14104 3dmark06!

First of all, $300 buys an 80GB SSD (an $220-$230 will get you a great 80GB SSD in a few weeks).

Second, many experts say that a SSD is the single most noticeable upgrade you can do to your PC. Of course, a SSD won't give you higher frame rates in games, but it will pretty much speed up everything else. This is reflected in much higher scores in general-purpose application benchmarks such as PCMark Vantage.

Lastly, if by "problems", you mean that SSDs get slower after prolonged use, note that, very soon, this won't be an issue anymore. Windows 7 supports the TRIM command and the best two SSDs on the market--the Intel X25-M G2 and the OCZ Vertex--will support TRIM after firmware updates due before the end of this year.

Typically a SSD is the most noticeable upgrade because the HDD is the bottleneck of most the systems. Samsung will also support TRIM for Win7, they currently have something similar called garbage collection that helps now though. While slower than the Intel and Indilinx based drives (ie. OCZ Vertex), it is generally cheaper (ie. Dell Samsung 256GB for $480 or less w/ coupon), and it is still far better than any other consumer company (ie. Jmicron) and any other notebook/desktop/server HDD.

The Intel X25-M G2 SSD Drives prices are very high. I don't remember the brand I was looking into but I know it wasn't that make. This appears to be a rough choice to make.