how to disable flashing colors in Dell monitor?

+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy how to disable flashing colors in Dell monitor?

Two years (now beyond warranty) I bought a new Dell flat-screen monitor--the model number on the back is so small I can't really make it out, but it looks like SE177FPI. From day one, it shows the screensaver for about 22 minutes, then, instead of just going "dormant" and black, it flashes yellow, purple, aqua, gray, black, red, green, blue--over and over--the entire monitor pulses these 8 colors in order forever. It also goes to these colors if I turn off the computer via the "turn off computer" rigamarole through the Windows start button. When it goes to these colors, its on-off button does NOT respond. I have to unplug the monitor to make it stop if I have shut off the computer! The only way to avoid this is to ALWAYS remember to turn off the monitor separately from turning off the computer. This is sooo infuriating!

At one point I called Dell and after an interminable wait finally got someone who said it did that "to give it something to do" when not receiving a signal from the processor (I kid you not)--why in heck does it have to have "something to do"? Because they had kept me waiting so long, I didn't have time really to discuss it further. I was in the process of moving from Florida to Maine at that time and somewhere in the move totally lost my receipt/bill of sale so I no longer had the customer number or whatever I needed to get customer service.

I have never met anyone who has heard of this problem, nor have I seen it discussed anywhere. I'm hoping SOMEONE can tell me how to make it stop doing this! I think it's not supposed to happen but gosh darn it I really blew it by losing my bill of sale so I had no way to get customer service. I wish I had just returned it and told them to take me off their mailing list--they still send me little flyers about their overpriced JUNK.

I will NEVER buy a Dell product again after this. By the way, not only does it do this stupid thing of flashing colors, it is perpetually too bright and the colors are washed out. I have given up adjusting the setting for brightness because it has to be reset EVERY TIME I turn on the monitor! The reason I bought it in the first place, instead of any other, is that BellSouth had given me a $100 gift certificate to Dell in some promotion (I forget the details) and my big old clunky CRT monitor was taking up my entire desk.

So buyer beware: Dell monitors are JUNK and are programmed NOT to turn off when the computer is turned off because they have to have "something to do," and when they are displaying what they are supposed to display they are bright and washed-out looking.

Thanks for any advice!

This sounds rather like the 'Burn-in' mode my monitor has (dell 2408wfp)
    IF it is that you can turn it off by turning off the screen. Then hold the menu button and the plus button at the same time, then hit the power button. Once it's come back on press the minus button and the service menu should pop up. In there you should see the aforementioned item to turn off.

Tom
    Last edited by Topper; 01-19-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Intel Extreme Quad QX9650, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, 9800GX2, X-FI Xtreme Gamer, Corsair 620w PSU
    Alienware M15x: Vista x64, X9000, 4GB Ram, 200GB HD, 1440*900, 8800GTX
    Dell XPS M1530: Vista Ultimate x64, T9300, 4GB Ram, 200GB HD, 8600GT.

Thanks, but apparently your setup is different, because none of what you describe happens with mine. When I hit the minus button, with or without the menu-plus button beforehand with the power off, I get a menu merely for contrast and brightness.

The Main Menu has only Positioning, Image Settings, Color Settings, OSD Settings, Language, & Factory Reset. I have tried every combination of menu and plus-minus buttons and don't have any "Mode" choices.

It's just a crappy, cheap monitor, I guess, & I think this color thing is a fluke. I just read a lot of comments on Dell's forum about this model, SE177FP (it's been discontinued, btw), but nobody mentioned anything like this, except for one person who said she got a box floating around after turning off the computer and couldn't shut it off. So I'm really kicking myself that I didn't really insist that they fix it or replace it.

I will eventually replace it and will be SURE to check before buying to make sure the monitor shuts off when the computer does.

Thanks again!

Wanna trade?

monitors generally don't shut off when the computer goes off, rather they go into power saving mode. This has been a standard feature on monitors for quite some time, so when looking for a new one don't worry too much about that.

As for your problem though, there may be a different way to get into the service menu Topper was talking about (different button combinations), so maybe google has something on that...
    My Custom Antec 900 Build
    Asus P5Q Pro | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @4.0GHz | 4GB DDR2 RAM | NVIDIA GTX260 Core 216 | Asus Xonar DX | Seasonic M12 600W | Seagate 500GB RAID1
    Ubuntu 8.10 x64 | Vista Business x64

HP Pavilion DV3-2150US
    Intel T6500 | 13.3IN WXGA | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 4GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Summit SSD

Choosing the right graphics card for you, your budget, and your power supply!
    Best Computer You Can Build For $X

seven stories underground

Quote Originally Posted by lucinda09 View Post

So buyer beware: Dell monitors are JUNK and are programmed NOT to turn off when the computer is turned off because they have to have "something to do," and when they are displaying what they are supposed to display they are bright and washed-out looking.
    Blanket stements like the above are very unneccesarry, I know your frustrated with your situation, but Dell does make some great displays, and they arent ALL junk.

What really bothers me about this post is you said it happend from day one.....why on earth did you keep it? Dell is one of the easiest places to exchange or return items.

Back to the problem at hand, has the machine driving the monitor changed much since you got it? Have you tried running it on different computer? It could be a couple things not even related to the monitor itself, I'm thinking OS or your video card/IGP. What are OS are you using? Whats driving your display? Did you install a pecific driver for the panel? In XP if I installed the driver for an old acer LCD display, I got a weird green overlay over the desktop, switching to the generic display driver made that problem go away.
    Corsair Obsidian D ~Silverstone ST-1000-P~ i7 950 @ 4.2 GHZ/1.26V (EOC)~GA X58A-UD3R~ 2X EVGA GTX660 Ti's in SLI~12 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3~128 GB Samsung 830 SSD/ 1TB WD 7200 RPM 64MB cache~ Samsung Blue ray / DVDRW ~ GTX 460 768 MB for physX ~ Asus 1080P 120HZ LCD/NV 3D vision ~ Acer AL2216W 22" secondary display~ XFI TI

Help US help YOU, please give clear details of you rig/wants/needs in your questions

"There really aint no Devil, it's just God when he's drunk"

I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts. Monitor worked fine until recently, monitor turned off when I turned off the computer via shut down. But now as the original poster said, the monitor flashes the same colours in sequence. The reply she got from Dell is rubbish, monitors do not need something to do, thats like saying my toaster needs something to do when I'm not using it. This problem only happened recently as I said, so it leads me to conclude that it is a fault with the monitor itself and the fact that the douche from dell tried to pass off the matter tends to confirm that for me.

Default Debranded monitor

Slightly off topic as I have a different monitor, but the burn-in hint helped solve one of my many problems getting a new monitor set up.

I got a debranded HP (I think) monitor from buy.com that's flashing the same way. It's sold as a ts-24W8h 24" TSSI lcd monitor. Access to the service panel, from trial-and-error, is via hitting the Menu button twice. Use +/- buttons to go to the burn-in option and turn it off. Since it's a debranded monitor, good luck finding support site.

Bonus coverage: I was having much problem getting full res displayed on the monitor. After much searching, here's what worked for me. I'll supply as much details as possible in my setup. Use it as example to map to your situation.

I have a USB+monitor switcher supporting two computers on this monitor. A laptop with a Geforce Go6200 TE and a desktop with Quadro FX500.

Step one: use vga cable and forget about DVI. Saw many complaints about DVI driving 1600x1200 resolution. It's either the graphics card, or the monitor that's broken. I don't really care who wins the blame game. I want something that works now. I've wasted much time swapping cable before on another monitor, not going thru that exercise again. I use the switcher and vga cable for both machines.

Step two: get new drivers. Got quadro drivers from nvidia site. Laptop graphics card only want driver from manufacturor.

Step three: Hard boot both machine. Key to installing new hardware, hard boot via power button! I softboot one of the machine and the supported resolution list is not complete. After hard boot, it found the 1920x1200 on the quadro card to my delight.

Step four: The monitor is only able to do 1280x1024 or 1920x1200. Quadro support 1920x1200, life is good. The laptop is only able to go up to 1280x1024. Since I only want one-to-one mapping of pixels and NOT fuzzy scaling on the monitor, 1280x1024 with no scale is comically small on this monitor. Luckily, there is a forceware coolbits hack floating out on the web that enable additional resolution settings. Now I have the option of 1920x1440, which fails on this monitor as out of range. Next best thing is 1600x1200, which I can live with. BTW, other monitor drivers may allow you to set custom resolution, YMMV.

Don't settle for fuzzy scaled display or tiny picture on your new giant screen. Live large and sharp! Good luck.
    Last edited by haha1111; 07-13-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: update forceware to more specific forceware coolbits hack

Default Solution

{I know this has been a dead thread for some time but it comes up at the top of a google search, so I am posting the solution to the original problem, since I too had this issue, I found that the solution was a bit tough to find}

On a dell monitor that is flashing colors when the computer power is off...

-Turn your computer on, this enables you to access the menu options of the monitor.
    -Enter the menu via the menu button on the monitor.
    -Choose Factory reset.
    *your individual steps after this will vary, but FOLLOW FACTORY RESET*
    -In there you will see a setting for Burn-In.
    -Turn that setting OFF.

WhalaCheers!

..If your dell monitor is flashing colors like this, then there is a setting in there to change.
    Last edited by reido113; 07-07-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add on

Default Oldie but a goodie

OK - i have a dell monitor and all of the sudden it starts flashing colors - even though i do not have it plugged into a computer. the only way to get it to stop is to phyically unplug it. No safe mode - no nothing. very frustrating!

So, after taking the time to hook it back up to a computer - because you can't get the monitor to go into the MENU option - then all i did was - in the menu option i went are reset back to factory options.

Nothing in the computer can reset it - you have to go to the monitor itself. hope this works out for anyone that is looking for this answer....