Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Questions

+ Reply to Thread

Default Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Questions

I was on Amazon.com looking at the Logitech gaming mice and keyboards. In particular, this keyboard:
    Amazon.com: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110: Electronics

And this mouse:
    Amazon.com: Logitech G500 Programmable Gaming Mouse: Electronics

I've never owned a gaming mouse or keyboard before. So I am wondering what the benefits really are in gameplay. Starting off with the mouse, I can't recall what my Microsoft laser mouse DPI is but I'm sure it's nowhere near the 5700 of the Logitech gaming mouse above. How much difference does that really make say when playing a shooter? How does it affect gameplay? Is it easier to aim quickly and accurately? Does it help you to play better? There must be some reason people like them. I'd like to understand how beneficial they are. As for all the extra buttons I don't honestly see myself using them. Do people really find all those buttons on a mouse helpful? What for? What do people activate with them?

On to the Logitech gaming keyboards. The one I linked above I think is their entry level model. I like the backlit keys feature. That is pretty cool. Some of the other stuff seems pretty useless to me personally. The defining feature of this keyboard really seems to be the macro keys. So the question is, what are they good for? I'm trying to imagine what I'd want to macro in a shooter for example. What would I want to macro playing some RPG? What would I want to macro playing World of Warcraft? Once again, people like these a lot for some reason but I am honestly clueless about what specifically it is. So please enlighten the clueless!

Thanks a lot for any feedback on this stuff. I appreciate it.

Linux geek con rat flail!

Logitech makes some very solid peripherals. The DPI isn't that huge of a deal once you get over about 2000 or so, it's more of just a bragging thing at that level.

That said, the G500 is a very comfortable mouse to use, and that is what makes it play better. You need to be able to have and reach all the buttons you want without them getting in your way, and each person's preference is different. The G500 and G400 are both good choices for "basic" gaming mice.

As for the keyboard, again, it's your play style. You gotta experiment with it to see what works for you.
    Desktop: i7-3770K@4.1GHz/Corsair H60/16GB DDR3-1600@CAS9/2x Unlocked 2GB 6950@915/1400,+20%/Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H/3x Acer 211HL (5760x1080 Eyefinity)/128GB Kingston SSD boot, 2x250GB (RAID0), 2x1TB (JBOD)/CoolerMaster Storm Scout/Corsair HX750W
    MythBuntu Media Center PC: Antec Sonata II/Athlon X2 7750/4GB DDR2/4x1TB RAID5, 500GB boot/Nvidia GeForce 240GT/61" HL61A750 LED DLP
    Laptop: HP Envy 15/i5-540M/8GB DDR3-1333/Radeon 5830M/1920x1080 WLED/~5.5lbs

well as far as a mouse i would have to say that for me 1600dpi is more than enough, i mostly play bf3, mw3, tf2. i dont play wow not my cup of tea. I do own the g110 and it actually pretty nice as far as backlight i have seen better, but its not bad. its to wide for my taste, i never used the macro key in game, but i did play with the software a bit and its pretty fun but again not very useful for the games i play(it also comes with some preset configuration for many games). what i did like about the keyboard was the usb port and the ability to block the windows key as i tend to go crazy key hitting sometimes
    Aurora R4: i7 3960x - 16GB Corsair Dominator GT Ram @ 2133mhz - BluRay Burner - ALX Chassis - 516GB SSD+3tb HDD - PNY Nvidia GTX 680

APEX M15x: 17 920xm - ATI Radeon HD6990m - 1920x1080 WLED - Corsair 16GB Ram - BluRay Burner - Corsair C300 256GB SSD - Intel Ultimate-N 6300

I have that mouse.
    It broke after 2 years of abuse... by broke I mean the smoothness was eroded to hell.
    I liked to so much I went and bought the exact same mouse.
    What does that tell you about what I think about it?

As for the keyboard, I have a G11. I used to have a G15... but I traded it with my friend for this one because I preferred the blue LED lights.
    You'll never use the Micro Keys... I have 18 of them and they do sod all for me.

Logitech products are amazing. I highly recommend them.
    I used to have a regular mouse and keyboard... but now I've used Gaming sets... I'd never go back to generic.

Steelseries makes really nice mice, not so much on keyboards. The logitech and Corsair make good stuff too.

here is my suggestion (if you like a blue blacklight): Newegg.com - Corsair Vengeance K90 Black/Metal USB Wired Gaming Performance, MMO Mechanical Keyboard

Not all of the keys are cherry reds (F keys, esc, insert, home, etc,) , but the ones that matter are. The key click sounds are great, and its sensitivity will take a little getting used to, very sensitive. Very pretty blue backlight. I love it.

Might I also suggest the logitech G510 keyboard. Not worth the MSRP IMHO but I snagged one at best buy for around 70 bucks after tax and it is an awesome keyboard. Its very similar to the G110 but I love that it has a LCD panel that can display my core temps, gpu temp, etc.

My favorite MECH keyboard manufacturers are Ducky, Corsair and I'm looking into Filco (just want to try their products). For the mouse, I'd look into Corsair, SteelSeries, and Razer.
    *AMD FX-6100 @ 3.30Ghz*MSI 990FXA-GD80*Deep Cool Ice Blade Pro*Corsair Vengeance 4x2Gb*Palit GTX 650 Ti*Aerocool Strike X 600w*Sandisk Extreme 120Gb*Samsung 500Gb 7200rpm*Aerocool XPredator X1*

*A Like Wouldn't Hurt.. *