MMOG in-game advertising?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MMOG in-game advertising?

Looks like the effects may be felt with upcoming Age Of Conan.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3...isementks3.jpg

What is everyones thoughts on this matter?
    Compal IFL90 "PowerPro 10:15"
    8600mGT w/512 GDDR2
    T7300~2x1024 DDR2
    160gb 7200rpm HD
    15.4" MATTE WSXGA+
    Blootoof~Wireless Interwebs

The Wubilicious Wubster!!

Default Re: MMOG in-game advertising?

To tell you the truth, I just ignore the advertising. It doesn't bother me.

And BTW, I don't think I've played a game with in game advertising
    HP 8510p :wub:
    T7300/3 GB/2600HD/Vista Business

I Crim... am a very cute and sweet guy, according to the beautiful Cin'. I am also Owner of all of the Wubs :wub: :wub: :wub:

NO NO NO NO NO! that just wont do!

it collects your information and stores it. and i wonder if it monitor your internet surfing habit also, this is problematic for me in many ways, including; breach of privacy, loss of computing resources (performance), internet bandwith/allowance, etc..

the most they can do about ingame ad is just show the ad randomly, and do not impact the game performance/design. if there is a game with ingame advertising i will avoid it. i really hate when a component of a game is actually running even though i am not running the game.
    ==============
    Windows and Mac user
    ==============

AoC forum threads on this topic:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=63987

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=64138

Looks like things are still vague at this point. I'm gonna wait for some kind of Solid announcement before making a decision on whether or not to buy this game. "may" or "may not" don't fly with me.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble987 View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO! that just wont do!

it collects your information and stores it. and i wonder if it monitor your internet surfing habit also, this is problematic for me in many ways, including; breach of privacy, loss of computing resources (performance), internet bandwith/allowance, etc..
    In game ads have nothing to do with monitoring your surfing habits. The image he links states that the advertising only collects information from the game itself. None of the information comes from anything you do outside Conan.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble987 View Post
    the most they can do about ingame ad is just show the ad randomly, and do not impact the game performance/design. if there is a game with ingame advertising i will avoid it. i really hate when a component of a game is actually running even though i am not running the game.
    I don't care about in-game advertising as long as it isn't placed in a way that violates immersion. For instance, if I see a coke machine in FEAR...I don't care if a giant "COKE" is plastered all over the front rather than some generic imaginary soda. That makes sense. On a similar note, if I am running around a bunch of office levels, again FEAR, where the computers are Alienware brand or Sony brand or whatever, again, who cares. These sorts of placements do not really break immersion, in fact they add to it.

What could bother some players is that coke ad plastered onto the front of my next shield or tunic.

To be honest, MMO games have terrible immersion (in my opinion) by nature of their social aspect. I wouldn't care if they plastered freakishly overdone ads everywhere because I don't consider the game worlds at all engrossing anyway.

Where the real issue lies is in advertising in a game where you are already (presumably) paying a monthly fee. If it somehow lowers the fee, then by all means give me a McDonalds potion and a mount with a giant BMW logo tatooed to it. Otherwise, ads should be subtle (placed tastefully and without violating the validity of the game-world, for players that do feel immersed).

The real example of a completely validated game-ad scheme is Battlefield Heroes and the like, because they are completely free to play.

So in the case of Conan, if it starts to give me a seizure because I can't find a monster to kill without being strobed in the retinas with a Starbucks placement, then I'll be against it. Otherwise, if I just happen to see a sign saying "Newbie area, respawns provided by the National Science Foundations....an players like you" I'll be more than content.

*mind vomit end*
    Newest: SR Macbook Pro/Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz T7700/4GB DDR2-667/Geforce 8600M GT 256MB/160GB (7200RPM)
    New:Alienware 7700/Pentium 4 (3.6GHz)/2GB DDR2-667/ATI Radeon x800m/2 x 60GB (7200RPM, Raid 0)
    Old: Dell Inspiron 8000/Pentium 3 Mobile (840MHz)/384MB PC100/ATI Mobility 128 AGP4X/60GB (7200RPM)

NBR Janitor

Ha, the one that comes to mind is CoD4, where every terrorist bought an overpriced Voodoo machine.

Screw going to war with them, just wait a few years and they'll have blown all their money on laptops.
    Asus G1s-A1: T7500, 160 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, 8600m GT

Read Before Posting: Hardware Sticky, Gaming Sticky, Forum Rules, B/S/T Rules. Or you will be unicorn.
    My Stuff: CPU Guide, 64-Bit Guide

I find it ridiculous mainly because they are putting this advertisement into a game that people will be buying for 50$ then paying 15$ a month for.

Will they be hurting for money that badly?
    Compal IFL90 "PowerPro 10:15"
    8600mGT w/512 GDDR2
    T7300~2x1024 DDR2
    160gb 7200rpm HD
    15.4" MATTE WSXGA+
    Blootoof~Wireless Interwebs

Quote Originally Posted by Mippoose View Post
    I find it ridiculous mainly because they are putting this advertisement into a game that people will be buying for 50$ then paying 15$ a month for.

Will they be hurting for money that badly?
    You have a good point, unless we get some benefit from the advertising (lower monthly fee, for instance), it is really hard to see why advertising is needed aside from pure profit.
    Newest: SR Macbook Pro/Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz T7700/4GB DDR2-667/Geforce 8600M GT 256MB/160GB (7200RPM)
    New:Alienware 7700/Pentium 4 (3.6GHz)/2GB DDR2-667/ATI Radeon x800m/2 x 60GB (7200RPM, Raid 0)
    Old: Dell Inspiron 8000/Pentium 3 Mobile (840MHz)/384MB PC100/ATI Mobility 128 AGP4X/60GB (7200RPM)

misamisamisamisadesu?

Hellgate London had random ads in the train stations
    My Netbook: ASUS EEE 1000H Black|Intel Atom 1.6ghz|2gb RAM|500gb|Intel GMA950|10" WXGA|XP Home|6.5hr battery life
    My Desktop: Intel e8400(@4.1ghz)|ASUS P5e3 Premium|2x Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR3 2gb|OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD + 1TB WD Black|Corsair TX750w|BFG GTX 260 OC 896mb|Lian Li PC07P|Logitech G15v2|Logitech G5|2x Dell UltraSharp 2009WFP
    My HTPC: AMD X2 4850E|Gigabyte GA-M78SM|Crucial 3gb|500GB|Antec Minuet|Philips 37" LCD TV
    My NAS: D-Link DNS-323|2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar GREEN

Unfortunately it seems to be the way game companies are going, it's a gold mine for them.