Google Drive Goes Live, Offers You Free 5GB Storage, 25GB For $2.49/Month Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
    DTR Site Editor

Default Google Drive Goes Live, Offers You Free 5GB Storage, 25GB For $2.49/Month Discussion

Google's much-rumored Drive service just went live, offering users 5GB of cloud-based storage for free. If you need a little more, the company makes upgrading exceptionally cheap: 25GB is just $2.49 a month.

Read the full content of this Article: Google Drive Goes Live, Offers You Free 5GB Storage, 25GB For $2.49/Month

Related Articles:

Lots of talk online about the Terms of Service for Google Drive. All four cloud services have you give them a limited license to copy and republish your documents for the limited purpose of operating the cloud. However, for iCloud, SkyDrive, and Dropbox, that's the ONLY purpose of the limited license. That's not the case with Google's limited license. Compare:

iCloud: "you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license...solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available"

SkyDrive: "you hereby grant Microsoft the right...solely to the extent necessary to provide the service."

Dropbox: "You give us the permissions we need to do those things solely to provide the Services."

Google: "The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones."

The second, third, and fourth purposes of Google's limited license--"promoting," "improving our Services," and "to develop new ones" have no parallel in Apple's, Microsoft's, and DropBox's terms of service. Do people here want Google employees looking through their Google Drive uploads in order to figure out how to best promote Google products or what new products Google should bring to market? Because Google Drive's ToS allows Google to do that.

Source for terms of service: Is Google Drive worse for privacy than iCloud, Skydrive, and Dropbox? | The Verge (I don't agree with their conclusion that the ToS of Google Drive are no big deal).
    Last edited by Mitlov; 04-25-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p). My video review.
    HTC 7 Pro (Windows Phone 7.5 Mango). Review to come.
    Kindle Fire (stock). My video review, part one, part two.