PC won't turn on, no sound, no lights, nothing, please help...

+ Reply to Thread

Default PC won't turn on, no sound, no lights, nothing, please help...

Hi everyone and happy new year. I wasn't sure where to exactly post this but here it goes.

I have a gateway fx series desktop that I've been moding for some time, the other day, it was on sleep and I came to turn it back on, all it did was make this long, nonstop beep sound and nothing happened, so I turned it off and left it cuz I was in a hurry...next day I tried to turn it on but nothing happened, no lights, no sounds, no fans, nothing...it was as I never pressed the power button...

I noticed that the light on the motherboard is on, so it's receiving power but other than that there is no sign of anything that might be bad...I even switched the places of the memory cards, and basically did all the regular checks to make sure everything is in place...If anyone can please point me to the right direction, it would be great, I don't want to just buy random parts and change them...thank you...

CPU: i7 920
    MB: some gateway or whatever brand
    RAM: 9gigs
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 6770
    Sound Card: on board

Check RAM and GPU since it can be eliminated from the possible cause easily. Then check the connectors if they're in the proper slot.. Next check the motherboard it's touching the case (properly placed in the standoff).. Lastly check your PSU, as prebuilt computers often have low end psu or motherboard.. So I'm leaning towards your motherboard then psu..
    *AMD FX-6100 @ 3.30Ghz*MSI 990FXA-GD80*Deep Cool Ice Blade Pro*Corsair Vengeance 4x2Gb*Palit GTX 650 Ti*Aerocool Strike X 600w*Sandisk Extreme 120Gb*Samsung 500Gb 7200rpm*Aerocool XPredator X1*

*A Like Wouldn't Hurt.. *

Quote Originally Posted by empty213 View Post
    Check RAM and GPU since it can be eliminated from the possible cause easily. Then check the connectors if they're in the proper slot.. Next check the motherboard it's touching the case (properly placed in the standoff).. Lastly check your PSU, as prebuilt computers often have low end psu or motherboard.. So I'm leaning towards your motherboard then psu..
    Thank you for the response, I checked all those and they all seem to be fine, I even took out the mb and tried turning it on with a different power button but no luck...I did notice couple of times when I disconnected the power to the PSU, a second after that the fans started spinning for just a sec and turned off, obviously without power they wouldn't continue running, but I just found that a little weird....

And if it is my mb which one do you recommend to get since I can't really find too many of them made for x58...thank you...I wouldn't mind oc it if I'm going to replace the board...

What do you mean by you disconnected the power to the PSU, do you mean the disconnect the plug from the outlet? the power cable from the PSU? LGA 1366 right?
    If you want the best quality and stability ASUS Rampage III Black Edition LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard around $399.99 man, these x58 are expensive and hard to find..
    Other options are
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer "Ultimate Gamer" choose 3Way SLI + PhysX at Real X16 X58 CEB Intel Motherboard
    You can try Newegg, Landmark, NCIX, Tigerdirect, even Amazon and/or Ebay as these types of motherboards are hard to find.. Newegg only has 6 of those X58 motherboards 2 are the ASUS ones mentioned above and the rest are from Supermicro which I have no experience in using their motherboards so I don't recommend it..
    *AMD FX-6100 @ 3.30Ghz*MSI 990FXA-GD80*Deep Cool Ice Blade Pro*Corsair Vengeance 4x2Gb*Palit GTX 650 Ti*Aerocool Strike X 600w*Sandisk Extreme 120Gb*Samsung 500Gb 7200rpm*Aerocool XPredator X1*

*A Like Wouldn't Hurt.. *

Quote Originally Posted by empty213 View Post
    What do you mean by you disconnected the power to the PSU, do you mean the disconnect the plug from the outlet? the power cable from the PSU? LGA 1366 right?
    If you want the best quality and stability ASUS Rampage III Black Edition LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard around $399.99 man, these x58 are expensive and hard to find..
    Other options are
    ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer "Ultimate Gamer" choose 3Way SLI + PhysX at Real X16 X58 CEB Intel Motherboard
    You can try Newegg, Landmark, NCIX, Tigerdirect, even Amazon and/or Ebay as these types of motherboards are hard to find.. Newegg only has 6 of those X58 motherboards 2 are the ASUS ones mentioned above and the rest are from Supermicro which I have no experience in using their motherboards so I don't recommend it..
    Ya sorry i meant disconnecting the plug from the outlet...those are pretty expensive or right and not many out there...now I'm thinking of a new CPU and the mb, don't really wanna spend that much for an older CPU even though its still up there when it comes to speed...

I agree with empty... Sounds like a motherboard/psu issue. I'm leaning towards psu.... Do you have another psu you could try?

I think once you should change your PSU, if your CPU is still working then you should go for replacement for PSU.