Upgrading CPU

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrading CPU

Default Upgrading CPU

hello,
    I have a question regarding my Dell Dimension.I want to upgrade my current pentium 2,4GHz (533FSB, socket 478, not an HT enabled one) to a 2,8GHz with an 1mb cache. 800FSB and HT enabled. I think my system would support this chip am i right in asuming this? Or should i rather get something with the same FSB or doesnt that matter at all? Would the HT be a problem? I have read several articles about it but they dont give a 100% clear awnser so i thought iīd better ask it to some experts.

The chip i got now is roughly a 60W TDP one and the one im looking to upgrade is 90 TDP. Will this be too much for my stock cooling to handle? If it is not will i only fry the chip or will i fry my MoBo as well?
    thanks in advance,
    Daniel

Exact model number of your Dell Dimension? As long as the processor has the same socket, which usually means that it supports that processor then it's good to go. And no, it won't be any problem since, if you buy processor it usually comes with a stock cooling fan. Except for "OEM"? processors (the ones that are cheaper because they don't come with a stock cooling fan).
    *AMD FX-6100 @ 3.30Ghz*MSI 990FXA-GD80*Deep Cool Ice Blade Pro*Corsair Vengeance 4x2Gb*Palit GTX 650 Ti*Aerocool Strike X 600w*Sandisk Extreme 120Gb*Samsung 500Gb 7200rpm*Aerocool XPredator X1*

*A Like Wouldn't Hurt.. *

i went after all for a 3.06GHz 512mb cache and 533FSB with HT enabled. I think it is better to have an equaly matched FSB since i cannot mess around with the BIOS. That is pretty much the fastest Pentium 4 and i know for sure it will work.

I still have slight worries about the cooling. The dell Dimensions have a stock CPU cooler which canīt be replaced- I wonder how much extra heat a 81.8 TDP will make than a 60W one. Will it work fine or do i need to look into getting a better fan? I think some cooling paste might do wonders as well.
    Last edited by danielschoon; 12-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Do you mean to say that by replacing the stock cpu cooler, the warranty will be void? Yes, thermal paste are one way to reduce your temps, if you can't replace the cooler.
    *AMD FX-6100 @ 3.30Ghz*MSI 990FXA-GD80*Deep Cool Ice Blade Pro*Corsair Vengeance 4x2Gb*Palit GTX 650 Ti*Aerocool Strike X 600w*Sandisk Extreme 120Gb*Samsung 500Gb 7200rpm*Aerocool XPredator X1*

Warrenty has expired years ago that machine comes from 2002 or something like that I mean in those dell DImension 8250īs the cooler is kinda integrated in the case. And i havent looked into replacing it yet but it seems a fairly hard job to do. I think iīll first look into doing some thermal paste and if temps are getting too high replacing the fan. Thanks for all the help!

Thermal paste will do the job for you.. Its unlikely you'll get dramatically high temps.