Alert! Unsupported memory configuration.

+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Alert! Unsupported memory configuration.

Hello, I removed a stick of ram from my desktop and now every time I boot I get a message " Alert! unsupported memory configuration. Please populate DIMM1. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics" I know to hit F1 and some of my family members don't understand what is going on and have become upset. The computer does work fine, the message is just shocking to my computer-illiterate family. Would you please help me to solve this problem. I still have 2GB of ram and that is plenty enough to run windows and surf the web. I just want this message to stop popping up.

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
    Dell System Optiplex 780 Series

oh, and I called dell support and they wanted me to reinstall windows! LOL! I don't think she even understood the problem I was having... she must have been thinking "reinstalling windows will fix anything"

DTR SETI Moderator

The computer should have 4 DIMM(its another name for RAM) slots. You probably took about the stick from DIMM 1(first slot for memory). Move the 2GB stick in that slot and see if that message goes away.

If you are using 2 sticks of ram, then make sure they are in the 1st and 3rd slot(the slots may be labeled or color coded).

If you have a stick in the first slot(DIMM 1), then it could be another problem.

Also in the BIOS Setup(f2), there might also be away to turn off the error message.
    If you are building a desktop, make sure to read the instruction carefully. Remember todays mistake is tomorrows unstoppable killing machine
    HP dc7700s-Pentium D 945/60GB SSD/500 GB/6GB/external Nvidia 9600GSO+ Windows 7 with Server 2008 and assorted linux distros in a VM
    NBR Image Gallery-Post pics related to your desktop/notebook