Problem with my D820's Nvidia Quadro NVS 120m

+ Reply to Thread

Default Problem with my D820's Nvidia Quadro NVS 120m

So as the title states, my graphics card is slowly dying in my Dell, with permanent colored lines going up and down the screen, and severly decreased performance in anything using the card.

I was wondering if it's possible to replace the card on my laptop, either with another quadro 120m, or some kind of compatabile upgrade.

Thanks

DTR SETI Moderator

First check to see if you see those lines while in Safe Mode or using an external screen. If you do not, then its a problem with the LCD screen or drivers or heat(most people rarely clean out the vents so dust builds up blocking airflow).

Dell's service manual(see here) for that laptop does not specifically mention the removal of that GPU, so the manual could be incomplete or the chip/card is soldered on the motherboard. If its soldered on, then you will have to replace the whole motherboard(may cause more problems if done incorrectly) or figure out if its even feasible to attempt to desolder it.

As for replacement(if the card is removable), its most likely a dell proprietary chip, so you well need to see if an online store or Ebay has it.
    If you are building a desktop, make sure to read the instruction carefully. Remember todays mistake is tomorrows unstoppable killing machine
    HP dc7700s-Pentium D 945/60GB SSD/500 GB/6GB/external Nvidia 9600GSO+ Windows 7 with Server 2008 and assorted linux distros in a VM
    NBR Image Gallery-Post pics related to your desktop/notebook

Super Moderator

I wouldnt really bother even trying to change/upgrade the card in a laptop.

There is a small chance that it will be removable, but a almost inexistent chance that it will be possible to use some other GPU than the exact model that is in it now. Almost all laptops with a dedicated GPU still has the GPU BIOS inside the mainboard BIOS, not on the GPU itself.

Id suggest you head over to notebookreview.com forums instead of desktopreview.com as you have a much better chance to get a answer there

Ah thanks. I'll head over there and ask. Also, the lines are there on an external screen, as well as even on the bios/bootup screen

Hi, I am having the exact same problem with the graphics card in my Dell Latitude D820. I was just wondering if you ever found a solution?

no I unfortunately never did. I think i'll just suck it up for now and save up for one of those new netbooks with a gforce 9400m in it. it's only $400 and more powerful anyway