First gaming build help...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First gaming build help...?

Hello desktop review,
    I recently built my first computer and booted it up for the first time. Everything was running smoothly but when i tried to run assassins creed 3, my computer rebooted. upon inspection of the BIOS i found the cpu cooling system to not be working and discovered I had it plugged into the wrong place. However, even after being plugged in properly my computer would continue to reboot at random times, regardless of what I was doing. If I could have any help with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Build:
    CPU cooling - CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    CPU - AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX
    CD Drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    WiFi - EDIMAX EW-7811Un USB 2.0 Wireless nano Adapter
    OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-
    Case - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    Power supply - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular
    Hard drive - Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Graphics Card - GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-4GD GeForce GTX 670 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Super Moderator

Download HWMonitor and check your temps. Is the CPU cooler properly fastened?
    Also do a RAM check (either windows or memtest86+)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
    Download HWMonitor and check your temps. Is the CPU cooler properly fastened?
    Also do a RAM check (either windows or memtest86+)
    Yes, the ram registered just fine and I'm pretty sure the CPU cooler is on correctly

Whats a good temperature to have the cpu at? its ranging anywhere from 10 to 26 degrees celsius
    Last edited by Hydrafire11; 12-26-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Fanin2 keeps on going from 2000 odd rpm to 0 and back again and the cpu temperature is fluxuating

10C shouldn't be possible unless your living in ****en siberia or something......
    Okay, I'm a Californian, and lowest temps evar is like 16C. What is your ambient temperature?

I'm pretty sure your cooler cools using air which means under ambient temperatures are impossible. [water transported to radiator where air cooled]
    Normal temps for cpu depends on workload and ambient (and your cooler). For example I get about 25C CPU at 18C ambient, low usage.

Reseat (pull out and plug back in) and make sure to plug in properly: All Power plugs, RAM, fans, CPU cooler, and pci.

Fanin2 is probably a case fan, unplug all of your case fans from your mobo. This way you only have to deal with 1 fan (CPU).

I believe Your cpu fan should be plugged into CPUFAN
    Last edited by SpicySnow; 12-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpicySnow View Post
    10C shouldn't be possible unless your living in ****en siberia or something......

Okay, I'm a Californian, and lowest temps evar is like 16C. What is your ambient temperature?
    I'm pretty sure your cooler cools using air. (Water is transported to radiator where it is cooled using air) which means under ambient temperatures are impossible.

Normal temps for cpu depends on workload and ambient (and your cooler). For example I get about 25C CPU at 18C ambient, low usage.

Fanin2 is probably a case fan, unplug all of your case fans from your mobo. This way you only have to deal with 1 fan (CPU).

I believe Your cpu fan should be plugged into CPUFAN
    It's plugged to the correct place and I'm absolutely sure the fanin2 is the portion that's on the CPU itself. I fiddled with the wires and got it so that it wouldn't drop down anymore and appeared toe running relally stable but it still shut down just now...

Reseat (pull out and plug back in) and make sure to plug in properly: All Power plugs, RAM, fans, CPU cooler, and pci.

fanin2 is a fan of some sort. (0 to 2000 rpm is the spped of the fan). So its either on the radiator (cuz thats where your cpu fan is) or its a case fan, or some kind of mobo chipset fan.

What temperature is your room?
    Last edited by SpicySnow; 12-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpicySnow View Post

fanin2 is a fan of some sort. (0 to 2000 rpm is the spped of the fan). So its either on the radiator (cuz thats where your cpu fan is) or its a case fan, or some kind of mobo chipset fan.

What temperature is your room?
    The temperature of the room is 76 degrees. I tried reseating and now the radiator won't drop down to 0 rpm but the machine will still shut down when I try to do something that requires the CPU to think a lot. Should I try puttin g the stock fan to see if it works then?

OP, with that ambient temp, 10C is just not possible. Not sure why its registering such low temps but spicysnow hit the nail on the head, your temps will be close to room temperature but not below.

Fanin2 still seems like the culprit to me. Is there a fanin1 port you could try? I know when I put my comp together (granted I used an asus mobo) There was only one cpu fan port and 6 case fan ports.